Friday, July 10, 2020 / by Erik Bjorklund
Apple pie is iconic — much like the dining experience at Whispering Canyon Café at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge! Check out their recipe for this slice of Americana and give it a try at home.
Check out the recipe below:
Apple Pie from Whispering Canyon Café at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Makes one 9-inch pie
- 4 tablespoons of butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of shortening
- 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of coarse salt
- 1/3 cup of 2-percent milk
- 1 cup of water
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons of apple pie spice
Apple Pie Batter
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
For Pie Crust:
- Combine butter, shortening, flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed until crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and place in 9-inch pie plate.
- Bring water to simmer in a large pot.
- Place apples in a steamer basket and add to the pot. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from the water.
- Cool to room temperature and toss with apple pie spice.
For Apple Pie Batter:
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until just incorporated.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Slowly add to mixer and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add cream and mix until smooth.
- Set aside until ready to bake.
For Apple Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 1/2 cup of apple pie batter on top of pie crust, and spread until smooth. Top with apples and remaining apple pie batter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 more minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. If desired, top pie with sliced almonds and dust with confectioners’ sugar once cooled.
We want to see your creations if you decide to give this Apple Pie recipe a try! Be sure to share photos with us on Twitter at @Attractions.Fidelity Home Group | Home Buyer Experts | Mortgage Rates